Sunday, September 6, 2009

Long Time UU Navy Sailor becomes a pacifist

I stumbled across Capt. Thomas R. Beall, USN (Ret.) blog, Living The Prophetic Imperative, today.

As many of you know, I am anti- military, and believe that non-violence is a much more effective way of dealing with conflicts.

Having said that Capt. Beall has some interesting things to write on his blog and if you are interested in such topics I recommend his blog to you. Here is a snippet

My service at the Guantanamo detention facility (2005 – 2006) was a defining period in my life. It was a major milepost on the journey from naval officer to pacifist and critic of my country. Even as I reaffirmed my love of the Navy, my pride in its Sailors, and my embrace of its core values I began to realize that my country’s actions in the so-called “War on Terror” were and are fundamentally unjust. Even then, while still on active duty, I began to question and speak out. The following is a reflection I offered at my own church (Channing Memorial Church in Newport, RI) in June of 2006, not long after my return from Guantanamo. At the time, I had not yet embraced pacifism as I do today but the journey had already begun. Even then, I made a plea for compassion in an increasingly warlike society – a plea no less relevant today.

You can access it by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. I am wondering if I can interest Capt. Thomas R. Beall, USN (Ret.) a commission in The Dagger of Sweet Reason's U*U Jihad Navy. ;-)

    I am sure that we can find a Name Of State Withheld Class battleship for him to command if not one of our Stealth U*U Boats. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly and PDF