Saturday, November 28, 2009

Boston Unitarian and Advent

Boston Unitarian today, Saturday, 11/28/09, reminds us that tomorrow is the first Sunday of Advent. He offers us devotionals throughout the Advent season. It is well worth reading and perhaps following his suggestions.out

This Advent season has become special to me as I have been introduced to Monastic prayer and ideas by the book The Mountain Of Silence by Kyriacos Markides, a Sociology Professor at the University of Main. This book was assigned reading in my Sociology Of Religion course which I am taking at SUNY Brockport this semester where I have learned more about religion and faith in 16 weeks than I have in my previous 63 years. It has been an illumating and powerful experience for me.

A few days ago I decided to try to read Thomas Merton again and I picked up Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander and Contemplative Prayer. Yesterday I found the Ascent Of Mt. Carmel by St. John Of The Cross and a few other books on Contemplative Prayer.

I feel so blessed, especially in this season of Thanksgiving, by blogs like Boston Unitarian and Monkey Mind. They are rich, insightful, and wise. We are very enriched to have these two devout men in our tradition and writing about their experience and wisdom.

Peace...........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF