Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Why should we forgive? Rev. Scott Tayler has some good ideas about the question

Stuck On The Stoop: When Hurtful Memories Just Won't Go Away, a sermon by Rev. Scott Tayler, Co- Pastor of First Unitarian Church in Rochester, NY, given on 11/15/09 is well worth listening to.

It is a sermon on forgiveness.

Why should we forgive? To make things right with the offender? No says Rev. Taylor.

To make things right for ourselves? Yes says Scott.

We should let go of our anger because this day has so many other things to give us.

Don't be a monkey, says Scott. To understand what he means listen to the sermon. It's worth it.

1 comment:

  1. We talked about forgiveness in a humanist discussion group I was a member of once. One guy said "I don't know why we need to talk about forgiveness. It's so obvious. If you don't do it, you run out off friends."

    I don't see that as all that needs to be said on the subject, but at the same time, I admire what he said for its beautiful simplicity. I steal those lines all the time because I think he was fundamentally correct that forgiveness* is crucial to being a functioning human being and the central question should be how to do it rather than if one should do it.

    CC

    *Actual forgiveness not "I would forgive them if they would just do exactly what I want them to" faux-forgiveness

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly and PDF