Sunday, December 5, 2010

Second Sunday of Advent - Transcending darkness and mystery

Rev. Peggy Meeker preached a wonderful sermon today entitled "Transcending Mystery and the Dark Of the Year".

She based her sermon on the first source from which Unitarian Universalists draw their faith: "Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life."

That's quite a mouthful isn't it?

In everyday words it points to the three existential questions which we, as human beings, all must struggle with:

Why was I born?
What is the purpose of my life?
What happens to me when I die?

When we get older we begin to realize that we must make our own meaning of our existence. I was born to ______________. You fill in the blank.

The purposes  of my life have been to_____________________ and I have some things I still would like to do, experience, be, before I die. What's your bucket list?

What happens to me after I die? It is a mystery and could be anything from the lights simply going out to enjoying some version of what I conceive heaven to be or some version of what I conceive hell to be. Nobody knows. We will all find out one day or we won't because our consciousness will be extinguished.

In the later part of her sermon, Rev. Peggy asked us to remember someone who has gone before us and light a candle in their memory or to acknowledge some other dark time in our life. It was very moving, and tissues were needed.

The holiday time, the soltice, the darkess day of the year, brings up all kinds of sadnesses and sorrow for most of us. We are supposed to be happy and joyful, but without those we love, and without those we miss, it is poignantly sad, in part, for most of us.

And yet, it is in re-membering the stories of those who have gone before us that we enrich our lives and become empowered to live more abundantly. In our grief, sorrow, and sadness, is also the kernel of life, hope, and the power of growth.

We touched that power today in our worship. I wish you could have been with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF