Monday, April 22, 2013

God is the Love in which I forgive

Lesson 46 in A Course In Miracles begins with a Universalist message if there ever was one. It begins, "God does not forgive because He has never condemned. And there must be condemnation for forgiveness to be necessary."

If God is unconditional love how could such a God condemn the people He/She has created?

A Course In Miracles turns the misinterpreted Christian message that Jesus died for our sins upside down. Would God, the Father, Abba, want to see his son suffer?

It is human projection onto God borne out of the guilt of separation from God that leads humans to believe that God must be angry with them. This illusion has created most of the problems in the world and given rise to dysfunctional beliefs that cause great suffering and misunderstanding.

It was the Universalists who challenged what Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh called Crossianity, the belief that Jesus submitted himself to torture and death to appease an angry God and spare us from God's wrath and condemnation. This insane belief has lead to what Walter Wink has called the theology of redemptive violence which has caused great harm in human relations.

Lesson 46 in A Course In Miracles teaches that God is the Love in which I forgive myself for the illusions I believe about my own condemnation by God, and for the anger and condemnation I exercise in my thoughts and relations with others.

Questions:

If God would not have you condemn others as He does not condemn you, who should you forgive so that you can save the world from this insanity?

How can you change your mind about those you would attack because of your fear and come to love them instead?

How can our church of Unitarian Universalism help people to relate to each other soul to soul rather than as objects of judgment?




1 comment:

  1. My spouse and I stumbld over here from a different website and thought I should check
    thiungs out. I like what Isee sso now i am following you.
    Look forward to going over your web page again.

    Feel freee tto suef to my page discuss ()

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly and PDF