Friday, June 20, 2014

Thought for the day - How is the philosopher's life going?

I live in the same town I went to college in and I encountered one of my old philosophy professors on the street on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 as he was going to the barbershop. I took philosophy courses from him the late 60s, the last in the Spring semester of 1968.

"Good morning Dr. ___________. How's the philosopher's life going?"

"Oh, I retired some time ago," says Dr. _______.

"You're not practicing anymore I asked quizzically."

"Haven't in some time," he said.

I laughed as I walked away. How does a true philosopher give up practicing philosophy? Maybe he was only teaching academic philosophy and apparently not living the philosopher's life. I thought, gee, it seems like academic philosophy is a lot like many Pastors I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF