Friday, July 25, 2014

Story of the day - Bottled water

We were meeting for our monthly book club in the basement of the independent book shop in town discussing Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver.

"I think it's just terrible what is happening with this climate change stuff," said Jennifer as she took a swig of water from her Poland Springs plastic water bottle.

Should I say something or keep my mouth shut, something like, Plastic water bottle, Jenn, really? How concerned are you? But I didn't want to embarrass her in front of the group and she doesn't like me much already because I speak my mind which I can tell at times makes her uncomfortable. Let it go, I say to myself, but then good ole Jenn says, "I just wish people were more aware and would do more for the environment" and I couldn't stop myself, I mean I tried, but it came out in spite of my better intentions, "You mean like drinking water from plastic water bottles that are totally unnecessary and are based on fossil fuels like oil and clog up our landfills for decades?"

Jenn looked like a deer in the headlights. She appeared to be stunned like I'd caught her with her pants down, and then she blushed and her eyes started to tear, and I thought, "Oh shit, what have I done?"

She looked at me and said quietly, "Ahhhhhhh, you're right. I hadn't thought of that. It is silly to buy water in plastic bottles. I should get one of those re-usable ones."

The other group members sat stunned at first, but then started telling their stories too about the water bottles they use and how plastic water bottles and soda bottles are a little thing but something we could do as a group.

"Will it save the butterflies?" said Sarah sarcastically bringing us back to the topic.

"You know how the Christians ask, WWJD what would Jesus do? Well, what would Dellarobia do?, asked Linda.

There was relieved laughter in the group and Karen said, "She couldn't afford bottled water on her budget."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF