Friday, January 5, 2018

Suggested spiritual practice #5 - Give something away

In many religious orders, priests, monks, brothers, nuns, sisters take a vow of voluntary poverty. Most of us are not following a religious vocation but we can benefit from a life of simplicity. It is a good practice to give some of your stuff away periodically. Maybe you can give it to a friend, on a re-cycle list in your area, or to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, or Volunteers of America second hand store. The spiritual life strives for simplicity and to give up our attachment to things.

Practice giving things away periodically like one day per month. It is better if you give things away personally one to one rather than through second hand store. However you do it, though, your spiritual life and others will benefit.

For more click here.

2 comments:

  1. i gave away 12 years of accumulated stuff this spring and summer when I decided to sell my house. It felt real good to get rid of this stuff. I got rid of a 5 bedroom house and how live in a studio apartment. I am very happy. My life is much more simple and I have a lot more time and peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading a bumper sticker which said, "Do you own your things or to they own you." I started giving things away and have felt increasingly lighter and freer ever sense.

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly and PDF